The theme for the Trades Union Councils Programme of Work for 2016 to 2017 is ‘Protect Jobs, Defend Living Standards’. It sets out a positive vision of trade unions as we know them to be: a democratic force for fairness in the modern workplace. It highlights the role that trades union councils play in developing and promoting trades unions and in campaigning on the core values of the TUC and the union movement.
The key areas of campaigning for the year are:
- protecting workers’ rights to strike, promoting trade unionism and building union organisation;
- setting out the case for a high investment, high productivity economy with great jobs and skills at its heart;
- making devolution and decentralisation work for people;
- reaching out to young workers;
- support and campaigning for the Welfare Charter
- fighting racism and fascism
This programme of work has developed by the Trades Union Councils’ Joint Consultative Committee (TUCJCC) to ensure that trades union councils can identify their part in TUC campaigns and help implement the resolutions passed at the 2016 trades union councils conference.
The Trades Union Councils’ Programme of Work – 2016 – 2017 can be found here